Maha Mrityunjaya Homam is performed to please Lord Shiva and be saved from serious illness and/or untimely death. This Homam is performed by invoking Lord Shiva followed by the chanting of Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra. Lord Shiva is also called Mrityunjaya, which means the victor over death.
Remarks: Performed periodically by the Temple
Belief systems: See below
Co-Sponsorship – $51 per family
Mrityunjaya homam is said to be thousands of years old. A devotee of Lord Shiva, Markandeya was destined to die at an early age of sixteen. Markandeya did Tapass (penance) to please Lord Siva and Lord Siva was so much pleased with the bhakthi (devotion) of Markandeya that he saved Markandeya from Yama (the god of death) by destroying Yama.
As per the Manthram from Rigveda, “Bhishakthamam thwam bhishajam srunomi” (Lord Siva is the Doctor of Doctors).
Maha Mrityunjaya Homan showers the blessing of Lord Shiva and frees one from all physical and emotional problems. It provides means for controlling malefic effects of planets in ones horoscope to a wide extent. It is believed that by participating in Mrityunjaya Homam, individuals and families will benefit as mentioned below:
- It saves one from untimely / premature/ unnatural death due to various causes and incurable diseases.
- This Homam will shield one from all dangers and will heal all incurable illnesses.
- It gives long life, harmony, success, achievement, and perpetual joy
- It helps one to overcome the fear of death, evil spirits and accidental death. It reduces the ill-effects of Navagrahas as well. It helps in getting rid of Karmic Doshas (Karma Dosham) and enables one to live a long and happy life.
- People who have ‘Kala Sarpa Yoga’ or people who have their 8th lord, 7th Lord or 2nd Lord Dashas are benefit by performing Mrityunjaya Homam.
- One can attain moksha from the continuous cycle of death & re-birth with the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra
- It is considered to be the most effective shield for the protection against negative forces. It guides towards a path of spiritual bliss, power and fulfillment.